- Secretary, Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, 1997-2003
- Secretary, Maryland Department of Juvenile Services, 1995-1997
- State’s Attorney for Baltimore City, 1990-1995
- Assistant United States Attorney, 1978-1982
With nearly 20 years experience as a trial lawyer and respected prosecutor, as well as more than a decade heading large government agencies, Stu offers enormous experience, judgment, and credibility to clients, particularly those with matters involving state and local government. Stu was twice elected by the citizens of Baltimore as the city’s chief prosecutor. Recently, Stu was nominated to The American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on Substance Abuse, which works to inform and educate lawyers and the public on programs that address substance abuse as well as the many problems associated with illegal drug use.
Stu is one of five members of the Maryland Public School Labor Relations Board, who are appointed by the Governor to administer labor relations provisions relating to public elementary and secondary education. The Board decides controversies and disputes between local boards of education and employee organizations representing school system personnel.
In 2012, Stu was awarded Baltimore Child Abuse Center’s first Founder’s Award, recognizing his efforts in co-founding the organization in 1987. His vision, leadership, and advocacy insured that child victims of sexual abuse in Baltimore would be treated with respect, dignity, and kindness. Stu was selected by his peers to the 2013 Maryland Super Lawyers. Only five percent of the lawyers in the state are chosen for inclusion in Super Lawyers.
- Harvard Law School, J.D. 1975
- Dartmouth College, B.A. 1972
- Prison Health Services v. Baltimore County – successfully represented major provider of medical services in multi-million dollar contract dispute with local government.
- Ford v. Baltimore City Department of Social Services – obtained settlement of over $2 million for child seriously injured in foster care.
- Successfully represented professional license holders, including physicians and podiatrists, in disciplinary actions before state regulatory agencies.
- Counseled a labor union concerning the implications of litigation by a third party against a major employer of union members.
- Represented minority business owner in negotiations with Maryland Department of Transportation regarding termination of a contract.
- Numerous trials on behalf of criminal defendants accused of felonies and misdemeanors in both state and federal courts.