Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights
When lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals experience discrimination, Brown, Goldstein & Levy attorneys draw on decades of experience in civil rights cases, including extensive experience on behalf of LGBT clients.
As far back as 1998, BGL succeeded in establishing that Maryland’s sodomy statute could not be applied to private, consensual, non-commercial sexual activity between adults of the same sex.
- Successfully negotiated settlement with the State of Maryland to require the provision of equal fertility coverage to lesbian state employees.
- Successfully represented transgender individuals seeking insurance coverage for gender-confirming health care.
- Working with the ACLU, convinced the Harford County (Maryland) libraries to remove filters that blocked access to LGBT websites.
- Convinced Harford County (Maryland) school officials to abandon their attempt to censor lines from a high school play in which two boys announced that they had “fallen in love” with each other.
- Successfully resolved a case involving a juvenile counselor who was fired for being openly gay and for referring to her wife.
- November 2014, Jessie Weber participated in a panel entitled “What We’ve Done and Where We’re Headed,” a discussion on the Maryland LGBTQ community’s legal and political accomplishments over the last year and the challenges that lie ahead, sponsored by the LGBT Bar Association of Maryland and University of Baltimore OUTLaw, University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, MD.
- June 2014, Jessie Weber co-led a training session for the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau staff on working with LGBT clients and LGBT legal issues that may arise in their practice areas, Baltimore, MD and Columbia, MD.
- March 2014, Jessie Weber participated in a panel entitled “Towards Transgender Equality in Maryland” sponsored by the Maryland Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society, Baltimore, MD.
October 2013, “Special Issues in LGBT Law,” FreeState Legal Project, University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, MD.
May 2013, Jessie Weber participated in a panel entitled “Maryland LGBT Law 101” during the Maryland Partners for Justice Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- December 2012, “Working with LGBT Clients,” LGBT Legal 101 Lunch Seminar, Baltimore, MD.